Beginning Assessment
Before jumping into construction I need to assess what I'm working with and what I need to do. I'm flooded with so many questions I don't even know if I'm asking the right questions.
A little 'stream of consciousness':
What will it cost? Who do I talk to? Will people care? How long will this take? Who will use it? Where in the building? Are there laws in the way? What did other people do? Is there enough room? Will I have enough time to do this? Is this the most effective use of my time? What is the meaning of the universe? What's for lunch?
Maybe there's a more effective way of breaking this down. Let's go back to elementary school with the 5 questions: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
Who?
- Who does this help?
- Trans* and Gender-Nonconforming Students, Faculty and Staff
- A gender-neutral bathroom is open to all. The building's current configuration places men's and women's restrooms at opposite ends making it inconvenient if you happen to be on the far side of a long building.
- University Counseling Center
- Center for Student Wellness
- Admissions/Financial Aid
- Student Learning Center/Tutoring
- Who do I need to talk to?
- Building manager
- Counseling Center Director
- Who could help?
- LGBT Resource Center?
- Utah Pride Center
- TEA of Utah
What?
- Gender-Neutral Bathroom
- Gender Free?
- Unisex?
- Family
- All-Gender
- Single-Stall
- 2 Single-stall restrooms?
- What to accomplish?
- Social Justice
- Improved Access to Services
When?
- When can this happen?
- When do I have time to get this done?
Where?
- Where in the building?
- Next to the Counseling Center?
- On the main floor?
- Where do we serve the most people?
- Where do we serve the most Trans* people?
Why?
- Why is this important?
- Trans* are at risk
- Suicide
- Self - Harm
- Depression
- Substance Abuse
- Marginalized community
- The Counseling Center's mission is to serve a diverse population and respect differences.
Which leads to a sixth question: How?
This integrates the above questions and is perhaps the big question I hope to answer in this project.
No comments:
Post a Comment